Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Some thoughts on being "Father"

I'm sorry that I haven't had much to say over the past few days. Last week was two funerals, Bishop Callahan's installation, our deanery Marriage Preparation Retreat (Friday night and Saturday), and the St. Boniface Fall Festival in Waumandee. It's been mostly a matter of keep up and catch up. Oh, yeah, and my water heater went on the fritz last night as I was trying to get five loads of laundry done. Ugh!

So, at this point, some might be saying, "What does this have to do with pastoral insights?" And the answer would be: Folks, just when you think a priest has no idea what goes on in the lives of people, remember that priests are people too."

I once had a women tell me, when I was a seminarian working in a parish of the diocese, that a priest is the last person she would go to if she was having problems within her marriage or at home. I was kind of taken aback at how boldly she proclaimed the ignorance of priests.

I also remember how another woman gushed about how great this book was that she had read (in transcript). She went on and on about how wise the person who had written the book was; how his insights into relationships and married life were so "on the mark". She wondered at how long he must have been married and what a lucky woman his wife was. Imagine her shock when it was revealed to her that the author was Cardinal Karol Wojtyla - a.k.a. Pope John Paul II (the Great). The book was "Love and Responsibility".

As I said to the engaged couples on retreat, just think of how many marriages, families, and other relationships we priests have the privilege of observing on a daily basis. What's more, we have access to the memory of the Church which has been proclaiming the truth about humanities greatest yearnings for two thousand years!

And don't ever tell your priest that you didn't call or come to him because "he's so busy". Just like any parent out there, we have no shortage of things that we can be doing. But, also like any good parent out there, we will gladly drop it all so that we can walk with you - not only in your joys (Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation, Marriage), but also in your pain, sacramentally and otherwise!

I was ordained to be "Father", not "administrator". Administration comes with the job, just as it does in any household, but I AM Father and that comes first.

Blessings on you all!

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. Occasionally another married woman will confide in me about her difficulties in her marriage. I find that I am extremely ill-equipped to give her any meaningful advice because I only have my own experience of marriage to draw from. Many times the couple is in need of counseling, but they are unable to afford it. I am grateful that our spiritual fathers are willing to listen and guide us in our vocations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Just love it! I am in the habit of making a real nuisance of myself with every little thing that bothers me. I've just got to write or talk about it and am so grateful that some very busy priests always seem to make the time for me and never let me feel like the pest that I am. Thank you for all that you do!

    "And don't ever tell your priest that you didn't call or come to him because "he's so busy". Just like any parent out there, we have no shortage of things that we can be doing. But, also like any good parent out there, we will gladly drop it all so that we can walk with you - not only in your joys (Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation, Marriage), but also in your pain, sacramentally and otherwise!

    I was ordained to be "Father", not "administrator". Administration comes with the job, just as it does in any household, but I AM Father and that comes first."

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! As always, be charitable and remember the 8th Commandment (Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor).